The CKC Development Award, the Coach Developer Award and Coach Recognition Awards are presented on an annual basis to coaches who have made significant achievements. Coaches must be NCCP certified and part of the Coaching Association of Canada to be eligible for these awards. Nominations for the awards take place at the end of the competitive season and the awards are presented at Canoe Kayak Canada’s Coaches Conference.
CKC Development Award
The CKC Development Award is presented annually to the coach who has clearly demonstrated his or her abilities at developing a club or the sport through the grassroots level, building of a club or program such as an aboriginal paddling or PaddleALL program, or the promotion of the sport through the club. This could be evidenced or demonstrated through the following:
- Development of a new program within their club (PaddleAll, Indigenous Program, new Canadians programming, etc.)
- Significant increase in club membership through the introduction of a new program, recruitment / talent ID or promotion of the sport
- Improvement in performance at Provincial or National level competitions (eg – higher ranking of finish, athletes on a National or Provincial team, etc);
- Demonstrate concern for the all–round development of the athlete – (sport, social, and educational needs, and develop, through sport, life skills such as confidence, self–discipline, and respect)
Coach Developer Award
The Coach Developer Award is presented to a coach who contributes to the development or advancement of Canoe Kayak outside of, or in addition to their regular club coaching duties (club development and outreach, coach education, promotion and implementation of Long Term Athlete Development, involvement in national or provincial committees, aboriginal paddling initiative, PaddleALL, etc).
- A positive image of coaching, role of the coach and ambassador of the NCCP Code of Ethics and CKC Code of Conduct
- Is involved in coach education through facilitating coach training workshops
- Involved in outreach programs with other clubs, regions or countries
- Achievement of athlete/team performance;
- Demonstrate commitment to coaching education
Coach Recognition Award
The Coach Recognition Awards are presented to coaches who achieve the following:
i) coach an athlete or crew who win a gold medal at the Canadian Sprint Canoe Kayak Championships
ii) coach an athlete who is nominated to a national team (Senior World Championships, Junior World Championships, Carded Athlete, or National Development Team
No nomination is required for the Coach Recognition Award.