OTTAWA, ON (April 7, 2017) — The 2018 ICF Canoe Polo World Championships will take place in Welland, ON from August 1 to 5, 2018 with opening ceremonies scheduled for July 31. Three years ago, the International Canoe Federation awarded the Championships to Welland following a successful bid presentation at ICF headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Much planning and preparation has taken place since that announcement was made. Here are five things to know about next year’s Canoe Polo Championships.
5 things to know about the 2018 World Championships
- 30 countries are expected to participate, making for approximately 60 teams over four classes
- A test event will take place this year in Welland from September 8–10, 2017
- Italy and New Zealand are the reigning World Champions in men’s and women’s divisions respectively
- You can Join the Event on Facebookto keep up to date on the lastest news leading in the event
- Canoe polo is a thrilling sport to watch. Check out the crowd energy at last year’s World Championships in Syracuse, Italy
About Canoe Kayak Canada
Canoe Kayak Canada is the national governing body for competitive paddling in Canada. Canoe Kayak Canada has been one of Canada’s top performing summer sports having won an impressive count of 24 Olympic medals. Canoe Kayak Canada is a member-based organization which includes an intricate network of clubs as well as provincial, territorial and divisional paddling associations. Elite National Team athletes proudly represent Canada at various competitions around the globe – most notably the Olympic Games, Paralympic Games, Pan American Games, ICF World Cups as well as Junior, Under 23 and Senior World Championships. Follow Canoe Kayak Canada on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.