OTTAWA, ONTARIO (March 11, 2019) – Canoe Kayak Canada (CKC), the national sport governing body responsible for canoe and kayak racing in Canada, is seeking an International Coach to lead Canada’s Senior Slalom National Team Program at all international training camps and competition projects. The purpose of the role is to enhance the preparation of Senior National Team athletes on the Tokyo 2020 Qualification Pathway and to raise the individual and team performance standards of CKC’s High Performance Program. The right coach will therefore be positive, empowering, open and collaborative. They will be flexible and appreciative of different learning approaches, excellent communication skills, and professional aptitude. They will have a minimum of 10 years’ experience competing and/or coaching with success in international Canoe Slalom.
Post Date: March 11, 2019
Application Deadline: March 23, 2019
Position Start Date: April 1, 2019
Type of Position:Full Time
Location: To be determined (The position will involve significant travel based on annual High Performance Program Plan)
- The planning and implementation of Senior National Team athletes training and preparation for competition;
- Organize and directs the training and competitive activities of the athletes for which he/she is assigned. Controls these activities when athletes are under his/her direct responsibility;
- Lead and support International High Performance warm-weather training camp(s) throughout the off-season;
- Monitor and follow-up with National Team athletes after reviewing monthly training log reports;
- Maintain regular communication with athletes and their personal coaches in between projects;
- Evaluate the performance of Senior National Team athletes and document this evaluation for use in ongoing performance analysis;
- Lead regular Senior National Team meetings and build a collaborative team atmosphere;
- Supervision of National Team athletes;
- Attend Team Leader meetings;
- The successful candidate will have a degree in a related field or equivalent.
- Be a certified Competition Development National Coaching Certification Program Coach or hold an equivalent coaching qualification.
Skills / Background
- Be a world-class coach with a successful track record of coaching at the international level;
- Show evidence of working effectively within a team, possessing excellent planning, interpersonal, management and organizational skills, and can motivate and inspire others;
- Demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience applying aspects of sports science, medicine and technology to improve performance;
- The ability to work in both official languages is considered an asset;
- Evidence of the ability to think innovatively and use experience and knowledge from other sports or fields to accomplish excellence;
- Key personal qualities include adaptability, commitment, drive, innovation;
- Strong computer literacy and video analysis software;
- Ability to work outdoors in variable weather conditions
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
Please send your application along with a resumé and cover letter to James Cartwright by end of day on March 23, 2019.
Contact Name: James Cartwright